Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Clothing War




Why is it that kids' clothing stores are 2/3 girls' clothes? Are there not enough original designers in the market to design boys' clothes with some originality? You've got the choice of sports themes, stripes, cars/trucks/trains, or animals in any of the major children's stores sections for boys. That is a decent start in terms of possibilities, in my opinion. But, for some reason, the creativity stops there. Depending on the season, you can predict your sport. Bugs and nautical are in spring, bears are in winter, and the stripes and solid pocket t-shirts are out all year long, as well as the automobiles and Noah's ark variations. Basic color choices? Blue, green, red. Minimal yellow or orange. Khakis or jeans.

Can I get a tiger or a killer whale? Can I get a dolphin or a fish? What about birds? Aren't they gender neutral? A sun? Can I get purple? Can I get a stripe/polka dot masculine pattern? Can I get lime green, please?? The girls get these cute little fruit themed dresses with watermelons and lemons. Can I get a husk of corn or how about an apple? Are those masculine foods? What about a tractor or lawn mower instead of the same old, same old? My kid likes nature too. Instead of a flower, how about a tree?

I think all of Daniel's clothes are cute. I appreciate everything that people, especially my mom, buy for him. He looks adorable! I just think every mother to a son should be able to get as excited about the clothes for sale for her boy(s) as my friends who are mother's to daughters!

Check out the socks Daniel has on in these pics. They are so cute. They look like high top tennis shoes and the have lace at the top. They are made by this company called Trumpette. I discovered the line when I was shopping for my friends' girls. They make primary and pastel Mary Janes, ballerina slippers, and these others with bows for girls. When I found them, I thought, "Why don't they have athletic shoes for boys?" All that was masculine were ones with the days of the week written on them, and these animal prints that don't match anything! They could make ones that look like cleats, hiking boots, running shoes, etc. So I finally have one choice, compared to the girls' four choices for these outrageously priced socks that I scooped up immediately.

Anyone have a friend in children's fashion?

2 Comments:

Blogger JAB said...

Seriously, he is an itty bitty Scott!

3:42 PM  
Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

dress him like a girl. girls clothes are way cuter. well, except he's a boy. a very handsome boy. whom i love and love and love dearly.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home