Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Away

So, I am leaving Daniel and Scott tomorrow morning for a two-day trip to the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area. Mother's guilt has set in BIG time. I leave tomorrow morning around 8, fly direct to Raleigh, and fly back Saturday night. I think I am going to be a crying mess on my way to the airport on the Metro tomorrow morning.

This has nothing to do with worrying about Daniel and Scott being on their own for the weekend. Scott will be GREAT. Daniel will be GREAT with Scott. I feel that I am shirking my duties as a mother by going. It's for Phi Mu, so it's not like I get paid for it. It's a volunteer gig. I used to really enjoy these weekend catching up with the friends I have made as a sorority volunteer these past 6 years. Now, I feel bad for going - like I am abandoning my son, my number one priority, for something that is not as important.

Scott has given me daily pep talks. He says it will be fun for me, that as a mom I also am a role model for my son and this is teaching Daniel that it is important to have interests and hobbies in your life. Isn't Scott the best?

So, I will brave independence for the first time overnight since Daniel was born 4 1/2 months ago. A friend told me that the time away will make me appreciate my time with him more. Well, I just don't know if that is possible, because I love my time with him everyday. I enjoy getting him out of bed every morning when he rubs his face in my shoulder and kicks and squeals as I change him. I love watching he and Scott interact over his breakfast. The looks of distaste on Daniel's face as we shove spoonfuls of cereal in his mouth crack me up. It amazes me how he is developing - jabbering away, reaching for everything, playing with his toys, discovering his feet, smiling and laughing, getting mad when you don't give him his bottle quick enough or put him in his car seat.

Two days is going to feel like a long time. I bet he rolls over, back to stomach, while I am away!!

p.s. Found the digital camera, but can't find the power cord. Once we sell this place I will be able to dig it out!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

Well, i am sympathizing on the phi mu thing seeing as my dog child will be sad that her momma isn't home all weekend like usual to sleep and snuggle. It'll be good for you to get away . . . even though probably a hard couple days. I'm more sad over having to spend my entire weekend in phi mu la la land. Oh how our lives have changed...

2:31 PM  
Blogger NB-C said...

Yes, they've changed....just think ten years ago we lived and breathed Phi Mu...I threatened to walk out over the Rush video, we fought like hell to get THAT bitch in the chapter, and we were freaked out anytime someone mentioned that someone was in trouble (because the odds were that it was us were very high).

Now we stress over bills, spouses, and all the other adult crap...

You'll be fine...it will be good for you...too bad you'll be in NC instead of here in LexVegas!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home