Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Not for Wimps


I'm pretty sure that my mom had a magnet on our refrigerator when I was young that said, "Motherhood Is Not for Wimps." I know I did not appreciate that statement as a kid, I probably thought I did though. I thought I understood it as an adult, but no way, not until I became a mother. Motherhood is work, period. That sounds negative, but I don't mean it that way. I've seen the bumper sticker that says the Peace Corps is the "toughest job you'll ever love." Wrong. It's motherhood. Having a baby has made me feel stronger and more self confident than I ever was before because it is so demanding.

Motherhood is the most physically and emotionally challenging job I will ever have. I think people often forget the 40+ weeks that come before the child's birth. I was a mother the moment I found out I was pregnant. That day, everything changed. Life was no longer about me. There was a stranger in my body who consumed most of my free thoughts. My lifestyle and choices affected this person, and I worried constantly about that. My waistline wasn't the only reason to watch what I ate and drank anymore. I was thirsty for a week and nauseous for 23 more weeks. No more alcohol, caffeine - just 32 oz of milk to keep me from throwing up every morning. No more late nights out because I was ready for bed at 9:00 even though I had taken a nap when I got home at 6:00! Kicks in the ribs, pinched nerves, swollen feet, back pain - I'm not complaining, these are just the facts.

Emotionally? Just ask my husband. Hormones wreak havoc when you're pregnant and for weeks after. I cried because I was happy, sad, scared, excited. Pretty much every emotion equaled tears.

All that BEFORE the baby was even born. The emotional and physical demands of sleep deprivation, carrying a 17 pound baby up three flights of stairs and around the house everyday, sleep deprivation, worrying about feeding/sleeping/playing schedules, sleep deprivation, reading about feeding/sleeping/playing schedules, carrying our feeding/sleeping/playing schedules, and did I mention sleep deprivation, make the job description for the position of "mother" seem unattainable.

But, you do it. And you LOVE it. And you can't imagine life without it. And if you are as lucky as I am, you have a supportive spouse to share it with, and beautiful, amazing son that takes your breath away....and that makes you want to do it all over again.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

God, he looks so much like his daddy in that picture! Chunkachunkachunka...

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom did have that magnet! That's the first thing I said to Darrel and I wondered if you remembered.... I remember thinking it was silly, but now that I am mature and can appreciate your perspective, it amazes me that Mom was able to do it all times four! From a child's point of view, it didn't seem that hard! Now, we know that she's one tough cookie....

10:53 AM  
Blogger NB-C said...

4 months old? I can't believe it...it's seems like only yesterday we were discussing how stressed you were because you thought you couldn't get pregnant. He's so cute! And he looks just like his dad!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home