Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Past Meets Present

Today, Vanessa, one of my best friends from college, stopped by while she was in town with her husband. Daniel was asleep when they arrived, so she and I went upstairs to wake him from his late afternoon nap. I picked him up from his crib to show him to Vanessa, and we both choked up. It is hard to explain why. Sharing my son with someone important in my own personal history is momentous. I felt the same way when my brothers met Daniel 6 weeks after he was born.

Vanessa and I, along with our other close college friends, have shared many of life's milestones (after the age of 18) together, so sharing this one seemed long overdue. This may sound strange, but it is almost like Daniel's presence in my life is more real to me when my past meets him - my present and my future.

Daniel Memories for the weekend - giggling while we play together as I sing, "We're Going to Kentucky," his first time in the Baby Bjorn facing forward to go to the basketball game (he seemed to enjoy it!), entertaining the surrounding fans at the Richmond vs. GWU basketball game with his squeals and shrieks of delight.

3 Comments:

Blogger NB-C said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I am so jealous of Vee! Miss you!

8:43 AM  
Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. What a gift he is to all of us...

You are a wonderful mother and I'm so glad that I have a friend who will HONESTLY show me the ropes whenever I become one. I'm glad to share in your journey...

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute... I was thinking about you the other day and I was like... Beth is a mommy!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home