Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Adulthood

Have you ever had those moments that make you think, "I am an adult now." One would think that getting married and having a baby would solidify my self-perception as an adult. However, I still have moments when it suddenly occurs to me that I am not 18 anymore.

Scott and I are in the process of buying a house and selling our condo. I can definitely say this time is one of the most stressful in my life. There is so much money on the line. I keep pondering the prospect of having two mortgages if we can't sell our place, having too big of a new mortgage if we don't sell it for enough, and millions of unforeseen repair costs because we had to buy a house built in 1952. I guess this is what savings is for, right?

We are going to have to learn about prevention of frozen pipes in the winter, how to keep utility costs down, roof leaks, landscaping to prevent basement leaks, controlling unruly neighbors, and my favorite, home security systems!! All of these currently fall under the responsibility of the condo management company, not me!

I guess that is what adulthood really is - responsibility. The responsibility I have in my marriage and for my son are the driving forces in my life. The concerns keeping me up at night have nothing to do with my grades, my hair, my clothes, how much I drank the night before, and the status of my love life. That was, oh my lord, 10 years ago?!? How did I get so old so fast?

On a completely different topic, Daniel is wearing an outfit that is sized 9 MONTHS today. If I could find my digital camera (which is buried in a box, probably in my in-laws basement, in an attempt to de-clutter my condo for showing), I would post a picture!

2 Comments:

Blogger NB-C said...

Ahh...leaky roofs are my specialty...you'll love the house...just think, no more hiking up three flights of stairs!

But, you will stay awake most rainy nights waiting to hear if the sump pump turns on...fun!

I can't wait to see the new place!

11:28 AM  
Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

I hate being an adult.

I've had many of those moments and they still freak me out.

My rear end is big as an adult and that is so not fun.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home