Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Babies R Us Phenomenon

I hope I spelled "phenomenon" correctly.

Today I took Daniel to Babies R Us to return a "jumping johnny" doorway jumper. Babies love these things, but our moldings are not deep enough to hold my 17 pound child up and keep him from bouncing down the hallway. Don't worry, I didn't have him try it out unsuccessfully- I could tell when I was installing it. So, since the pediatrician has outlawed the Exersaucer (that story is for another blog), I have to find another activity to sustain him so I can actually do the dishes with both hands.

My intent was to return the jumper for a store credit and purchase a pack of $2.99 medium-flow bottle nipples and be done with the place. Ninety minutes and $74 later with a car seat cover, seat belt securer, photo album, cereal bowl, soft spoon, canister of formula, and the bottle nipples, I trucked back out to the parking lot. This is the Babies R Us Phenonmenon.

I try to go in and spend $3, and I spend twenty times that much. I get sucked into the aisles. Wandering about, I discover all of these inventions I never knew existed, but that suddenly, my child MUST HAVE. I put back the car seat angler and stroller rain cover at checkout, which shows some restraint, right? I think I need to stay out of the car seat and stroller aisles from now on. The back-of-the seat toy caddies and activity boards with mirrors might prove to be tempting next time.

Daniel memories for today - The hat with the chin strap. I promise to take a picture next time. I almost passed out laughing - he looked like an Eastern European. Too bad the hat is not fur! Next memory, Daniel playing with my hands this afternoon. He laid there and played with my hands and rings and cooed and squealed. It was great!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I have been crying just reading all this - I'm so glad Jim sent it to me - I can't believe you didn't Beth!!!!! Anyway - I think you have your Mom's mothering genes and I think she got them from Grandmother - and I think that's why I'm crying at this very minute reading about my big little nephew Daniel and my sweet, cute little namesake, and why I feel so CLOSE to all of you even though many miles separate us all. The pictures of Daniel look so much like his Daddy - and that's fine with Aunt SuSu - she thinks he's very handsome!!!! This is the best - Beth - I love you

6:59 AM  
Blogger NB-C said...

The first time I went in that place I had a panic attack.. Who would have known that there are that many diapers in the world. And how in the hell do you know what size your baby wears?

9:16 AM  
Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

I want to see the hat with the chin strap.

I just noticed in his last picture how big his feet are. And I'm laughing out loud.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home