Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Friday, March 10, 2006

Just Add Fruit...

Babies have taste buds and preferences!! I did not know that developmentally, Daniel would like and dislike certain things AND be able to communicate these to me at five months of age. Oh yes! He can!

The introduction of cereal to his diet did not go so well when we began a couple of weeks ago. He made awful faces as I shoved the rice cereal into his mouth. After about three bites, he began squirming in his seat, grunting in displeasure. So, I didn't push it. Scott's secretary and my mom said, "Add a little fruit." I was hesistant to do so - the pediatrician had advised me not to give him anything but formula until he was six months old! At 4 1/2 months the poor kid whined after an 8 oz bottle - that told me he wanted more. So against the pediatrician's advice, I was now going to give him cereal AND fruit?

He LOVES it. I mixed in a little fruit (bananas first) with the cereal, and it was a whole new experience. The first time, Daniel sucked it off of his lips! Now, 6 days later, he opens his mouth when he is ready for another bite and is a bit unhappy when I announce, "All gone!"
We've moved on to pears, and will probably try applesauce this weekend. I'll post a picture later when I feed him.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Notorious N.A.T said...

For me this is like "just add carbs." Carbs make everything better...

3:00 PM  
Blogger JAB said...

E hates anything sweet - no cookies, no cake and she has gagged everytime I've tried applesauce or any kind of fruit flavored applesauce!! Kids are tricky!!

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home