Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Friday, February 06, 2009

Princess Wady

20 minutes of "Empire Strikes Back" over 4 months ago, and Daniel talks about Star Wars EVERY DAY. Grammy/Grandad and Santa brought him some of the new preschool versions of Chewbacca, Dark Vadar, Luke, R2D2, and C3PO. He slept with them for a while. Now, he names all of us a character. Elizabeth is Princess Wady (Lady). I was correcting him to Leah for a day or so, and he essentially told me that I don't know what I am talking about. We met our neighbor's Great Dane named Lady the other day, and later this week he was calling Elizabeth, Princess Wady, and he said, "Hey! That name matches the dog down the street!"

I won't let him watch any more of the movie or play Scott's Wii SW game, because it is too violent. My brothers, husband, and brother-in-law all had Star Wars toys, but not when they were three. I loved the movies, too. Still do, just on the prequels.

Daniel impresses us so much with his memory and vocabulary. (notice, excited, rock star, sky scratch, conveyor belt) I cannot believe some of the details he remembers for events that took place a year ago. We will drive by a venue, and he will recall the last time we were there with great accuracy. Today he was telling me about a discussion he had with his classmates about Halloween, and he told them he was a tiger and then a frog. He talk about his birthday party like it was yesterday and notices references to our trip to Wyoming and Kentucky, or Florida with my parents. Daniel has been interested in road names and directions (he must be a navigator's grandson) and will recognized them when he hears them mentioned in the traffic report on the radio. (395? That's the road we take!)

We let him stay up to watch the Super Bowl, which was a blast. He jumped around clapping and danced through the entire Springsteen concert.

He definitely likes school, but still has anxiety when I drop him off every morning. I have stuck around to see, and the other parents tell me, that he is not upset for long, but it just breaks my heart every day. I know that he has a good time, and he is always full of stories for me. If he didn't like it, or felt uncomfortable, I know he would tell us. He calls everyone his friend.
Daniel loves Elizabeth - he is, all-in-all, very sweet and caring. I know he will keep an eye out for her if I am in the kitchen (he yells, "She's going to the stairs!") That does not mean that he doesn't literally push her around or yell when she gets in his space. That definitely happens daily, but I will give him a lot of credit for his sensitivity (He will run and get his blanket for her if she gets hurt. When she had to go get her blood taken, he kissed her and said, "It will hurt." before we left.) and sympathy. Daniel is already starting to interpret for her at times, "I think she is hungry. She needs milk. She wants Daddy."

Daniel spelled his name aloud for me a couple of weekends ago when we signing Aunt Johanna's birthday cards. He picked hers out and was very excited because it plays a song. Birthdays are a big deal, and he belts out the birthday song before blowing out everyone's candles.

Chris Daughtry is Daniel's favorite music artist. We didn't listen to him that much, but his song, "More than You Know" was on the radio quite often. One afternoon a couple of months ago, he was beating on the floor with his drum sticks and singing. I asked him the song name and he said, "Newah saweh derwah." Mmm??? He said, "You know it, Mom!" and started singing, "Newah saweh derwar (gibberish), wong, wong time ago!" Then, I knew what he meant. We have listened to the CD so much it skips. For a while, no one else was aloud to sing along with it but him. He tells me, "I am a rock star." He also is now a fan of Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" song. We don't listen to regular radio all the time, but kiddie music can get a little old after a while.

Daniel still likes to read books often, watch George, and play in the dirt. He loves his Moon Sand and Football/Baseball Guys. They are great toys that were gifts. Number 11 in the baseball guys is Ryan Zimmerman of the Nationals. Daniel was refers to him like a friend of the family. He and Elizabeth chase each other all over the house, to both of their glee. They dump out the baskets of blocks and play food and "make a mess." Which entertains them and lets me cook dinner or fold laundry, so I pick it up without complaining!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home