Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Caution: We are entering the "why" zone


My son asked me, "Why?" after almost everything I said to him today.

I forgot that kids do that. My impression was that it would happen in another couple of years. Oh no, today it was full force.

And, I tried to accomodate his questions. I answered them, without clenching my teeth, until abut 6 p.m. By then, I heard myself say, "Because I said so." and I just started to laugh. Then, I would answer simply, and he'd ask, "Why?" again, so I started saying, "I already answered that question." "Oh," he replied.

"Do you want to go to the playground?" "Yes." "Let's go to Turtle Park; we haven't been there in a while." "Why?"

Elizabeth was having a coniption on the way home from the park. It was 7:30 and Cinderella's midnight had come. The party was OVER. She yelled the whole way home, and I chose the park about a mile away to walk to. I told Daniel she was tired, and we were going to walk home as fast as we could. "Why?"

I thought, "Didn't I just answer that question?" It's tough. I want him to be inquisitive, and I certainly don't want to "shut him down." But, by the 300th time, at 8 p.m., when Scott is away - it is a true test of character for me to not get cranky about it. I finally told him I was tired, which was the truth, and there'd be no more questions for the evening. He said, "Okay, Mommy. I tired too."

I absolutely adore my intelligent, articulate little boy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home