Motherhood Is Not For Wimps!

The outlet for the thoughts of a tell-it-like-it-is, first-time mom who is no longer employed "outside the home."

Thursday, March 20, 2008

potty training

I started potty training Daniel on Wednesday, January 30th. I am pretty sure that was the date. After diaper changing began to involve chasing him down, I decided enough was enough. I read a little bit of the "No Cry Potty Training Solution" and did some tooling around online. Then, I got smart and called my friend with three kids and asked her what she did.

I think that potty training may be the hardest thing I have done besides the actual birthing process. No sleep is easier. I can't believe I am saying that.

I didn't go anywhere at all for three days, which is tough for me. It was winter, so we were stuck inside anyway. I have decided that I don't want to be one of those moms that says, "Daniel and Elizabeth can't do xyz..." I accept their personalities and fears that come with that. However, I've watched enough "Supernanny" and spent time with my students to know that kids can do just about anything you are willing to teach them. I guess I should think that way about adults too. It was tough to teach Daniel to nurse. That was so hard for me. But that test went so far for me mentally. Because of that experience, I tell myself he can do anything if I am patient and teach him - sleep through the night, wait for the light to turn green, sleep in a big boy bed, give up his pacifier. And potty training is part of that.

I'd say it took five days for it to click. I had to clean up A LOT. And every time he went in the potty, I gave him an M&M. He'd never really had them before, and now, he loves chocolate. It was worth it in the end. We put a potty on every floor of the house, and he was naked from the waist down most of the time. I'd set the timer on the stove, and he had to go whenever it went off. On Sunday, I went and bought the On-the-Go Potty, which is one of the top 3 inventions in my life - only to be superceded by the microwave and Coca-Cola Classic.

If we are at home, most of the time, he just goes on his own. No problems. We still use a diaper when he sleeps, and those things are really wet when he wakes up, so I have no idea how to eliminate them. When we are out, it's touch and go. I take him about every hour if he's had anything to drink. He peed in his pants while we were waiting to get his haircut yesterday. I do get frustrated, which all of the books say not to, but after a month of RARE accidents, the resurgence of the last couple of days is a bit maddening.

I may have to start using one of those star charts or something. But, being a mom means constantly remembering other people's needs including your own (which seem to always come last), so remembering when he needs to go to the bathroom falls right in line with the rest of it.

I am proud of my little boy for being potty trained. It's a big step and a big deal! We only use two of his diapers a day, so a box can last for about a month!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home